The Web is a rich source of information on keratoconus. A search in any search engine will bring up thousands of links to sites containing information about this eye condition. Below are links to a selected number sites with information aboutÂ keratoconus.
Please note: Keratoconus Australia Inc takes no responsibility for information found on off-site links. This information is outside the control of the association and it remains the responsibility of internet users to evaluate its accuracy.
Information on Keratoconus
- US National Keratoconus Foundation FAQ
- Wikipedia on Keratoconus (very detailed)
- US National Eye Institute
For information on corneal grafts
Overseas support groups
- US National Keratoconus Foundation
- Keratoconus Global Support
- Med Help International
- UK Keratoconus Self Help and Support Group
- France: l'associationkÃ©ratocÃ´ne
- Italian Cheratocono Foundation
- German Keratoconus site
- Cornea-Genetic Eye Medical Institute (Cedars-Sinai Medical Center)
- Harvard University's Digital Journal of Ophthalmology
- National Eye Institute at the National Institutes of Health
- Vision Australia
- Melbourne Corneal Donation Service
- Lions NSW Eye Bank
- Save Sight Institute at the University of Sydney
Australian health system links
This page on the Department of Health and Aging website provides links to a number of organisations which could help you negotiate the complexities of the Australian health system. Included are:
- Department of Health and Ageing
- Eye Health (Federal Government site)
- Health Insurance Commission (HIC)
- Private Health Insurance Ombudsman
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC)
- Consumers' Health Forum of Australia (CHF)
Private Health Fund letter for higher contact lens rebate
All patients are urged to put pressure on their private health funds to recognize the special nature of contact lenses for keratoconus and to provide higher rebates on claims for these specialized and indispensable lenses. With the assistance of the US Keratoconus Foundation, we have prepared a letter, which members can download and print, to send along with their contact lens claims to their private health fund.
Please send this letter to your health fund EVERY TIME you submit a claim for a rebate on your new contact lenses. The letter to request a higher rebate from your health fund can be downloaded in pdf format off our website here.